Monday, February 8, 2021

Shhhhhh - Be Quiet

 

I took this photo while on a cruise a few years ago.  I loved the contrast….here I was, sitting on a giant cruise ship and there was this ancient looking fishing boat floating quietly in the water.  It was tranquil, it was serene, it was beautiful.  I snapped a photo and it is one of my favorites I have ever taken.  There was such a quiet stillness to the boat, the moment seemed magical.

I have recently started trying to be like that boat, and if I am being honest, it was very recently….I am only three days in. I am trying to be quiet and still like that little boat.  I never let myself stop moving or let myself sit in quiet.  I am forever in motion and with some form of distraction around almost all the time.  

I have started making myself sit quietly for 3 minutes each morning.  After my three minutes of quiet, I write fir 5 minutes, then I study my bible and pray.  The first day, sitting for 3 minutes was so difficult!  I struggled to just be quiet, but day 2 and 3 have been easier.  I have learned so much in these moments.  Being quiet and still and then writing about what ever my mind wants to get out has been therapeutic and helpful to me.  I have been able to get chaos that has been in my head out and on paper and this seems to free up space.  

So, you may want to take a moment and quiet yourself.  Try sitting for a a minute or more and then writing for a designated time and see what comes out.  It may surprise you! 

No comments:

Let's Talk About Being Broken

 This year has had some amazing ups and some super low downs.  Today, I want to talk about the downs.  For the first time in my life I am no...